Friday, March 26, 2010

My First Track Day

One day a couple of years ago, Robert and I were on our way to Eloy to Skydive, and we saw some people racing sporbikes around a road course at Firebird Raceway just south of Phoenix. I was thinking how much fun that would be, and even bought a racy looking sportbike to learn how to ride. I took all the riding courses and learned to ride on the twisty canyon roads outside of town. The twisties were so fun (and I am so lazy), that I never did get down to Firebird to run on the track. Probably never would have, but Robert bought a georgous Ducati and started riding with me on the weekends.


Well, last weekend, Robert and I fianlly did our first Track Day at Firebird, and WOW was it fun! Robert and I rode our bikes to the track, and Robert's wife Lynn drove the SUV packed with all the luxuries one comes to expect from the Jones familly. EZ-Up awning, chairs, cooler stuffed with drinks and the such. The first thing we had to do was register and get our wrist band, then prep the bikes and get through TECH inspection. The mirrors had to be removed and the lights, turn signals and reflectors taped up so as not to be a distraction to the other riders. Protective clothing is also a requirement, and I had a hell of a time finding rental leathers that would fit. They must think all sportbike riders are fit 18 year olds, my fat gut and skinny legs made it difficult. Finally squeezed into the biggest, nastiest size 54 they had and was done with it!









Being first timers, we registered in the Beginning Group, which is a relaxed pace and prohibits passing in the corners. It wasn't long before our group was called over the PA to stage up for our first of four 15 minute sessions. Once out there, Robert and I stayed close and set our own pace, following other riders and learning the course. It seemed entirely too soon when I saw the checkered flag ending our session. Lots of smiles and high-fives back in the pits! The next session started the conservative passing, then we streached our legs so to speak. By the third and fourth session, Robert and I were running quite hard, and having an absolute BLAST!!

The experience kinda reminded me of my first Skydive. I just could not stop thinking about my first track day, and the "buzz" lasted an entire week! Profoundly fun, and we are already thinking about another track day in April. Robert did such a great job, even scraping off some of his boot sole on the track, and the pics we got are awesome! Thanks for draggin me down there, buddy! I will never forget it!





Woohooooo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment